Popular 55 Word Fiction Competition
The Book Council is holding a 55 word fiction competition, which is exactly what it sounds like: you write a story that is exactly as long as 55 words, post it to our wall, get all your friends to like it, and win prizes!
Stories can be about anything under the sun, so long as they fall within our guidelines (which we have placed at the end of this post for the sake of suspense).
The competition consists of the following categories:
- Judges’ Choice, where a panel of judges will decide on winning entries
- Popular Choice, where the entries with the most Facebook likes win
The following prizes will be awarded for each Judges’ Choice and Popular Choice categories:
1st Prize: $350 Popular Voucher, free entry to the All In! conference, which falls on February 22, and free entry to one of the four workshops on the second day of All In! (February 23).
2nd Prize: $150 Popular Voucher, free entry to the All In! conference, which falls on February 22, and free entry to one of the four workshops on the second day of All In! (February 23).
- Stories must be 55 words EXACTLY. No more. No less. Flouting this rule disqualifies your story!
- Your title should not be part of your word count.
- Contractions count as one word. Hyphenated words are one word.
- Keep it tasteful! Whether or not your story is posted on this wall is up to Book Council staff and we will (sadly) have to delete anything with inappropriate content.
- Open to anyone 13 – 25 years of age
- Deadline: 3pm, February 14, 2014