55-word Fiction Competition
The Book Council is holding its annual 55-word fiction competition, which is exactly what it sounds like: you write a story that is exactly 55 words. Post it on our wall, get all your friends to like it, and win prizes!
Stories can be about anything under the sun, so long as you follow our guidelines below!
Watch out for the next edition of 55-Word Fiction Competition!
Congratulations to all the winners!
Twins (Winning Entry)
Carol Lerh, Singapore Polytechnic
“We complete,” said the first girl.
“Each other’s sentences,” finished her lookalike.
The shopkeeper blinked blankly at them. “So what do the two of you want?”
“We want a,” said the first girl.
“vanilla cone,” said the second.
The shopkeeper frowned. “So one cone or two cones?”
The two of them held out one finger.
1st Runner-Up: Eunice Yeo, Singapore Polytechnic
2nd Runner-Up: Aloysius Khoo, Fuhua Secondary School
When Stars Align (Winning Entry – 50 Likes)
Rachelle Chua, CHIJ Secondary School
Everyone was born with a star on their wrist.
A small one that shone when they would first meet their soulmate.
She was crossing a road when it happened.
Staring at it in wonder, she never saw the car coming.
She lost consciousness before she saw the driver.
His star was shining too.
1st Runner-Up: Sng Hui Ying Eunice, Crescent Girls’ School (46 likes)
2nd Runner-Up: Megan Ngai, Chung Cheng High (Main) (38 likes)
3rd Runner-Up: Dorothy Yuan, School of the Arts (25 likes)
- Stories must be EXACTLY 55 words. No more. No less. Flouting this rule disqualifies your story!
- All entries need to be posted on the official All In! Facebook page.
- You can submit up to three entries! Subsequent entries will not be considered, no matter how awesome they are.
- Your title should not be part of your word count.
- Contractions count as one word. Hyphenated words are one word too.
- Inappropriate posts or comments will be deleted (vulgarity, swearing and all that sort are unacceptable).
- Your post should end with “By [Name to be listed in the registration for the All In! Festival]” and the school where you are from.
- No (explicit) sexual content is allowed.
- Open to anyone 13 – 25 years of age. Deadline for submission TBA.
- All prizes must be claimed within 60 days after the Festival. If unclaimed, organisers with consider the prizes as forfeited.
The competition consists of the following categories:
- Judges’ Choice, where a panel of judges will decide on winning entries
- Popular Choice, where the entries with the most Facebook likes win
The following prizes will be awarded for each Judges’ Choice and Popular Choice categories:
1st Prize: A goody bag worth $200, and a complimentary ticket to the first day of the All In! Festival in March 2017
2nd Prize: A goody bag worth $100 and a complimentary ticket to the first day of the All In! Festival in March 2017